Sunday, August 16, 2009

One month down, four more to go

Sorry for the delay in this post. I was having blog issues and then computer issues that were so frustrating it has taken me this long to even want to try to post again!


Last Saturday we took a trip to see another of King Ludwig’s castles, Herrenchiemsee. It was a beautiful day and the castle is on an island in the middle of Lake Chiemsee. It’s known as a mini-Versailles. I’ve never been to Versailles, but it must be amazing because this place was gorgeous and ornate. Apparently, its hall of mirrors is bigger than the one at the actual Versailles. Gianna had a great time exploring the grounds and on the horse carriage ride we took back to the ferry.


That night we went to a biergarten, Augustinerkeller. This one is at the top of many lists. And I must say it was more “authentic” than some of the others we’ve been too. There were lots of locals and lots of celebrating and singing among patrons. And of course, no biergarten is complete without the dangerous playground! Although this one was tamer than some other we’ve seen. If you noticed the picture that has that spinning apparatus, I feel I should mention that the kids on it were going SO FAST and I saw one of those boys throw up in the playground rocks a few minutes later. Awesome.

Gianna thought this littls girl's name was "Danke" because that's what Doug kept saying when the girl gave him rocks. Too funny!



Last Sunday was a bit of a disappointment. We thought shopping in central Munich would be a good way to escape the heat, but alas, nothing was open. We thought at least the touristy areas would have open stores…we were wrong! We made the most of our time downtown though. Doug climbed a church tower for some great city views and pictures while Gianna and I strolled the shady streets. When we met up again, we knew the Hofbrauhaus would be open so we decided to go for a pretzel and to give Gianna the thrill of seeing her favorite German tourist attraction: a tuba. God bless the tuba players at Hofbrauhaus at lunchtime. They are our saviors. You other musicians are good, but sorry, to Gianna you can't hold a candle to the tuba. To escape the evening heat of our apartment we went to a (turns out, equally hot) Chinese restaurant. We weren't sure what we were ordering, but everything was delicious. And it was a nice break from bratwursts and schnitzels!


A cool view of the glockenspiel

3 comments:

Nancy said...

You are the best blogger...so funny. Is Gianna going to be another Phyllis (PVHS Band)?

Elizabeth said...

Love the post! Gianna still loves tubas, huh? That did look exactly like Versailles...if you didn't tell me I would have thought you had gone to France.

EG said...

I love your posts! I told Tim about the dangerous playgrounds, and I was telling him about "Danke." He wasn't sure whose blog I was reading, so I had to say, "The girl who loves tubas, remember?"