Monday, September 21, 2009

Weekend and baby update

After a few days of actually visiting relatives north and west of here (in Germany), my mom and dad were back for the weekend. On Saturday we went to Hitler's Eagle's Nest (near Salzburg, Austria about 1 1/2 hours from here). There are not a lot of Nazi or WWII things to see there, but you take a beautiful bus ride up the mountain and then Hitler's elevator ("shiny elegator") to the very top. The views are amazing! It was a great day to go, you could see forever. All of the pictures are from the top, but none really captures how amazing it was!











On Sunday, Grandma and Grandpa stayed home with Gianna while Doug and I took in one last Munich sight that we hadn't visited yet: The Residenz, which is the downtown residence (what a surprise) of the royal Wittelsbach family. It was nice to navigate downtown without a stroller. And we got to see a little bit of Oktoberfest revelry. (That's right folks, Oktoberfest starts in September!) The city is definitely different with the start of Oktoberfest on Saturday. Everything just seems busier...especially on Sundays which are usually insanely quiet! And it's neat to see all the locals in their traditional German outfits. Apparently dressing up is the thing to do. Families with kids all dressed up are the cutest! We ended the weekend with dinner at a Mexican restaurant. This was a very refreshing change of pace and we learned 3 things: 1) Gianna likes virgin margaritas, 2) German burritos have green beans in them (WHA?!?!), and 3) due to #2, get the fajitas.


Next is the baby news. First of all, we have decided to name him Mark Thomas. Mark because it's the only name we agree on for a first name and Thomas because it's my dad's name. Gianna already calls him Baby Mark. It's really fun to have a name for him. I had an appointment today. I am 32 weeks and everything is going well. Mark looks good, is average-sized, and is head down; all good things! We have decided to attempt a VBAC rather than schedule a C-section; unless I go past my due date (Nov. 18). So keep us in your thoughts for a successful attempt at labor and normal delivery! We cannot believe how soon Mark is coming!

5 comments:

EG said...

Good name! What a great experience that you guys are having in Europe.

And I was reminded that you sent me a message about VBAC on Facebook. Oops, going to write you back now. :)

Kate said...

You guys are doing so much! What a great experience!

I think the baby's name is a good one. I like Mark Thomas, it's a very solid boy's name. It's so hard to pick a name you both agree on!

Bronwyn James said...

Wow, those views really are stunning. What a fun place to live for a little while! Good news on the baby front. Can't wait to see his little face!

Elizabeth said...

So excited to think about baby Mark coming in November. I will pray he comes a little early so you can get a VBAC. The pictures of the Alps are beautiful!! I can only imagine how great it would look in person. Can't wait for you guys to get home!

Holly, The Mommy said...

What stunning pictures! It's beautiful there! Can't believe Mark is coming so soon! We can't wait until you guys come home and we can't wait to meet little Mark!